Friday, April 3, 2009

The New DI Staff

Once students got back from Spring Break, the DI switched over to it's new staff that will work the paper for another year. I learned Wednesday night as I was working that I have a love-hate relationship with this. On the one hand, nobody had a firm grasp on their new position, which made my night drag on longer and longer because I can't do my job until the design desk is finished. And of course, they had the most trouble and thus, the worst delay.

I grew angry knowing I'd be stuck at my desk until all hours of the night, facing a psychology exam the next day that I had not yet started studying for. Finally, the paper dropped. Late, but I'll take it. I stomped all the way home knowing this was going to be how nights at work went for a couple weeks until people got the hang of it and work went smoothly again.

But to my surprise, when I grabbed the paper the next morning, none of my headlines got changed by the slotters. It's a big deal. My headlines always got changed last year. Sometimes for the best, and sometimes for the worst. And it's so frustrating. A lot of the slotters just want to see their words printed to say they wrote that. Well, the new slotters must have either been lazy or unexperienced because all my headlines made final cut.

So while I was exhausted from work, I was happy to see something good came of the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment