Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"Regret the Error"

The Web site I was assigned to look through for this post is Regret The Error.

After scanning through, I found a list composed of "Plagiarism Round-ups" and "The Year in Media Errors and Corrections" dating back to 2004 and as recent as 2008. The media errors links offer a sarcastic tone on mistakes made in the previous year and the corrections to them. For example, President Obama was the target of many errors in 2007, even being referred to as "Osama" in the media.

Another aspect I found handy that I will probably refer to for other classes is the "Accuracy Checklist," located on the homepage of the site. It offers suggestions to improve your work while reporting such as asking the source to spell their name and recording interviews. Then it goes on to offer a list of specific things to look for while editing: numbers, names, titles, locations and definitions, to name a few.

I would suggest, if nothing else, looking at the Accuracy Checklist if you do reporting in any way. It may list obvious things that we should already know to look for, but wouldn't it be worse to miss one of those and make a huge mistake just for someone else to catch? I'd hate to see my name on "The Year in Media Errors and Corrections" link.

No comments:

Post a Comment